We’ve pulled together the best wireless phone chargers on the market, so you can finally ditch the cables and enjoy a tidier way of charging.
What is wireless charging and how does it work?
Wireless charging allows devices to be recharged without the need to plug them in. This can be done through a power pad or stand (that connects to a power outlet), which your device only needs to be placed on to charge. It works by transmitting power from the pad to a mobile case or to the phone itself (if supported).
Can my phone be charged wirelessly?
If you already know that your phone is compatible, you can skip straight to our recommendations for the best wireless chargers.
Not all mobile phones are designed to charge wirelessly, but most of the popular manufacturers do offer smartphones that can recharge on a pad or stand, without the need of a cable to your phone.
Apple, Samsung, Google, Sony, Nokia, LG and Huawei all sell phones with built-in wireless compatibility. Many of their phones use the Qi (“chee”) wireless standard for charging, which was developed by the Wireless Power Consortium.
Some of the most popular wireless charging phones from each company are listed here:
- Apple - Apple originally embedded wireless charging in their iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X. This has since also been integrated into the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR.
- Samsung - Samsung phones have incorporated wireless charging into their devices from the Galaxy 6, so most of its successive models are able to do this, including the Galaxy S10, S10+ and S10e. The newer Samsung Galaxy A20e was not initially designed with wireless charging, but owners are still able to enable this option by purchasing a wireless charging adapter.
- Google - The Google Pixel 3, 3XL, 4 and 4XL all support wireless charging. You can use the Pixel Stand to charge your phone with Qi.
- Sony - The Sony Xperia XZ2 and XZ3 both have wireless charging built in to their devices. With the Xperia XZ, you could still enable wireless charging by plugging a QI wireless charging adapter into your phone’s charging port.
- Nokia - The Nokia 8 Sirocco and the newer Nokia 9 PureView both support Qi wireless charging.
- LG - A number of LG’s ThinQ models can use wireless charging: the G8 ThinQ, G8s ThinQ, V50 ThinQ, G7 ThinQ, and V40 ThinQ. With these phones, all you need to do is place the handset onto a Qi wireless charger pad.
- Huawei - Many of Huawei’s models have Qi wireless charging built in to their devices. The most popular compatible phones are: the Mate 30 Pro, P30 Pro, Mate 20X, Mate 20 Pro, and P20 Pro.
When you purchase a new phone, you won’t normally receive a wireless charger with it, so you’ll need to go shopping. We’ve narrowed down the search for you - here’s the best wireless chargers on the market today.
If you’re looking for a way to charge on the go instead, check out our portable phone charger guide.
Anker PowerWave Stand
While on the lookout for your wireless charger, you’ll have to pick between a pad, which is more discreet and lies mostly flat on a surface, or a stand, which angles the phone upwards so you can access it more easily. The Anker PowerWave Stand, non-surprisingly, falls into the latter category.
This stand can deliver 5W and 10W wireless output for fast charging. So if you know you’re going to need your phone again shortly, you can rest assured it won’t take hours to bump up the battery. So for an iPhone X, it will take around 3 hours and 30 minutes to charge - half an hour less than some of the other wireless chargers. It also has a self-cooling function, which allows it to keep charging without getting too hot.
Compatible with many iPhone, Google and Galaxy models, you can place your phone portrait or landscape mode for optimal viewing while it is charging. And you don’t have to worry about removing your case, as the electrical current can still work through them (as long as they’re not thicker than 5mm).
Moshi Otto Q
This is a sleek, grey charging pad that can sit comfortably on any flat surface. It is lightweight, at around 181g, so ideal for travelling.
It supports up to 10W wireless charging, allowing you to quickly bring your phone back to life. It is compatible with all devices that enable wireless charging. According to the German Apple magazine, Mac&I, it is the fastest wireless charger in the world.
As well as your handset, the Moshi Otto Q can also charge your AirPods wirelessly through their case (up to 5mm of thickness).
Charging is disabled if the pad identifies any foreign metal object, such as a set of keys, to keep you safe inside your home. It also has a multilayer sink design to keep it cool, so it can charge more efficiently for longer.
Belkin BoostUp 10W Charging Stand
Compatible with iPhones above iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy, Sony, and LG devices, the Belkin BoostUp gives you the flexibility to charge your phone in landscape or portrait.
With a long 1.5 metre lead, you don’t have to worry about being too close to a plug socket. The charger offers speeds up to 10W and comes in black or white, so you can pick a colour that seamlessly blends into your surroundings.
This Belkin charger has been specifically engineered to not interfere with your phone’s functionality, so you don’t have to worry about anything not working whilst charging.
A case as thick as 3mm can still be used on the stand, and its foreign object detection ensures nothing other than your phone (or case) activates its electrical current.
Aircharge Dual Fast Wireless Charger
The Aircharge Dual Fast Wireless Charger allows you to fast charge two compatible devices at the same time, delivering up to 20W in total (10W on each charging point). So two phones, or your phone and AirPods, can both be on charge. You’ll never have to pick between devices.
At 130g, it is lightweight and portable, making it ideal for travelling. Like the majority of other chargers, you can keep your phone safely stored inside a5mm case while on charge.
For protection, it has built-in overcurrent, overheat, overvoltage, and foreign object identification, so you can rest assured that it remains safe whilst using for long periods of time.
Apple Mophie Wireless Charging Pad
Designed by Apple, this charging pad is as sleek and aesthetically pleasing as the phones themselves. It is only compatible with Apple products, but will deliver 7.5W of charge to your iPhone or AirPods.
Its smooth, compact design fits neatly on to any desktop or table, with a non-slip coating to ensure your device won’t fall off. It can also provide charge through a case up to 3mm thick.
The Mophie Wireless Charging Pad includes a 1.5 metre power cable, and comes in black or white.
Asda Mobile also has a range of wireless chargers available to browse on our online store, but if you’re simply looking for a phone with a longer battery life or on the hunt for a new phone, we might be able to help you out.