Whilst most of these apps are specific for cats and dogs in particular, many of them can be used for all types of pets - rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, and even your pet turtle!
For medical aid - Pet First Aid
The Pet First Aid app is brought to you by the American Red Cross. Though we hope to never have to need it, it’s important every pet owner has a decent understanding of the correct medical procedure for their pet should they come to any harm. Take care of your furry family member with this guidance.
- Toggle between content for dogs and cats
- Follow the step-by-step instructions that will guide you through emergencies
- Learn first aid steps for more than 25 common situations through text, images, and ‘how-to’ videos
- Read advice on administering medication, behavioural assistance, and what to do in a dire situation
- Use the early warning sign checker to keep track of illnesses before they become too dangerous
- Identify toxic substances to avoid
- Find your nearest vet using the app
- Customise your personal pet profile
Let’s hope you never need to use this app, but it’s important that you know how to help your pet if they ever needed it.
For remembering - MyPet Reminders
From newborns to seniors, there’s a lot to remember - vaccinations, worming, de-flea treatments, and more. If you need help remembering when to give your animal their pill, tick medicine, or when to go to the vet for a vaccine, you can use this app to keep track of it all.
- Set up reminders for certain days and times for everything you need to do, from giving nightly pills to scheduling monthly vet appointments - never forget an important date again
- Customise for non-medical reminders too, like birthdays and competitions
Life is busy, and there’s no shame in relying on technology to help you remember all of your responsibilities. Make sure your pet is always taken care of, despite how hectic the day is, with these custom reminders.
For keeping an eye - Petcube
Leaving your pet home alone can be worrying. Not only could your pet suffer from separation anxiety, but you too might not feel comfortable being unaware of what’s occurring at home. Use this app alongside a Petcube device to livestream any room in your house, and keep track of your pets while you’re out.
- Use the pet camera to talk to your pet whilst you’re out, so they don’t feel so lonely, or to prevent them from misbehaving
- Get involved with other pets through livestreams and pictures from around the world
- Play with pets up for adoption through cameras
- Interact from afar by throwing treats or playing laser games
- Discover new pet content and meet fellow owners
- Shareable on social media
For shopping products - Chewy
Shopping for food, products, clothing, accessories, and more can seem like a difficult and wary venture - especially with all of the pet brands out there. Chewy is the ultimate shopping app, with over 1000+ brands to explore.
- 24/7 assistance from pet experts
- Free shipping to households on orders over $49 / £35.50
- Take advantage of additional product savings online
- Create and alter auto-ship dates to have food be delivered on schedule
- Create a pet profile and add their information, such as age, breed, and weight, to find suitable food recommendations
- Review your latest orders and know exactly what you’ve purchased when
- Explore the pharmaceutical department online and shop for your pet’s medicine, prescriptions, and more
- Save your favourite supplies in one place for easy access
- Follow your delivery using the shipment tracker
- Share by text, email, or social media
You’ll never struggle to find a new bed, bowl, leash, or food supply ever again with this handy online shop stacked with all your favourite pet brands.
For adoption - Petamiko
If you’ve found yourself wanting to adopt a second pet, whether that be a doggy or kitty companion, or a different indoor animal, then you can use the Petamiko app. Alternatively, if you can’t dedicate enough time to your current pet and need to put them up for adoption, you can ensure you find the best pet parents.
- Register and create a profile for your pet to match with another animal that would suit their life
- If you’re adopting, browse the most relevant profiles for you and your pet
- Directly contact the other owner about their pet up for adoption, excluding any agencies
- Filter matches by location, age, and breeds
- On the other hand, set up your pet for adoption and get to know interested people before setting up a meeting with them
- Set alarms to receive reminders for vaccinations, medicines, and meal times
Whether you’re adopting or putting your pet up for adoption, you can use this app to ensure your beloved animal goes to the best home, and that you’re not personally supporting an illegal breeder.
For specific medical requirements - PetDiabetes
It’s estimated that one in 300 dogs and one in 230 cats will develop diabetes. If your pet has been diagnosed, one of the best things you can do for them as their owner is record everything so that they stay as healthy as possible.
- Use the ‘Diabetes Log’ to record multiple factors like weight, appetite, thirst, urine, and blood sugar levels to share with your veterinarian
- Set reminders for medicine and insulin injections (also tracks where you inject so you switch up the area to avoid irritation)
- Calculate the number of calories your pet is eating and how much they need
- Save information like contact details, medical history, and any questions
- Visualise trends in your pet’s health with graphs, tracking their food and water intake, weight, blood sugar levels, and more
- Explore videos related to caring for pets with diabetes
- Export all necessary information for your veterinarian or own records
Keep on top of your pet’s needs if they’re diabetic, safe in the knowledge that this app allows you to record everything you need to know for their health.
Whether you have a puppy or a senior dog, you might find these apps helpful.
For training - Puppr
Free - with in-app purchases
Training at any age can be difficult, but the Puppr app can help new and experienced owners learn how to properly manage and teach their doggy companion.
- Access more than 70 masterclasses taught by celebrity dog trainer, Sara Carson & The Super Collies
- Choose from a number of topics, like training on a leash and recall, for specific lessons
- Learn through step-by-step instructions and videos
- Use the built-in clicker for training
- Keep track of your training process and all of the tricks your dog has learned so far
- Set reminders for potty training
- Collect badges as you train
- Look through the Puppr shop for specialised recommendations
With the Puppr app, your dog will have learned all the basic commands and more, making your life easier from the get-go.
For identifying breeds - Dog Scanner
Free - with in-app purchases
You can use Dog Scanner to identify any dog’s breed in a few seconds. Whether you want to see what mix your own companion is, or you want to guess your friend’s dog, you can use this app and revel in your newfound knowledge!
- Identify a dog based on a picture or video
- There are over 370 dog breeds recognised on the app, including mixed breeds
- Read detailed data and facts about the different breeds of dog
- Scan yourself to find out which dog breed you resemble the most!
- Share your findings in the Dog Scanner community or via social media
Have fun learning new breeds and discovering more about your own.
For walkies - Rover
If you need a dog sitter, dog walker, or boarder overnight, you can use Rover to find trusted local care.
- Connect with over 200,000 sitters and walkers across the UK, Europe, USA, and Canada
- Rest assured that every sitter has been reviewed and approved by the Rover team
- Message people nearby or in a relevant area to walk or care for your dog
- Receive photo updates during your dog’s stay
- Track their location using GPS, and receive a map of their entire walk
- Get updates on their pee and poo, and how much food and water they intake
- The dog walkers/sitters can also use the app to send messages, pictures and videos to owners
- Secure paying and booking system
Have peace of mind knowing your dog is well cared for while you’re away.
For meeting others - Bark Happy
Are you on the lookout for other like-minded dog owners to befriend? Join a community of other dog lovers with BarkHappy.
- Create a profile for your dog and find others near you
- Contact fellow dog owners to chat or meet up
- Find dog-friendly accommodation, restaurants, bars, hotels, parks and more near you
- Report lost and found dogs
- Alert others to lost dogs with pictures, details, last seen location, and contact information
- Receive exclusive offers on the app
Meeting other dog owners nearby can help you build a personal community of doggy friends to hang out with.
For dog-friendly travel - Bring Fido
Travelling with a dog can be difficult - not everywhere allows pets inside or accommodates them. Thankfully with the Bring Fido app, you can find dog-friendly places everywhere.
- Search for dog-friendly hotels, parks, restaurants, beaches, and more
- Pet-friendly hotels are offered at the lowest prices available
- Filter places by distance, ratings, price, and personal recommendations
- Also filter places for large dogs or more than one
- Find other places like groomers, dog walkers, dog sitters, vets, and pet stores
- Share pictures on social media
- Leave reviews on the websites of the dog-friendly place you visited so others know if the service was good
This app will simplify your holiday planning, knowing that your beloved dog is guaranteed to have its own bed and breakfast just waiting at your hotel.
For keeping an eye outdoors - Whistle
Keeping an eye on your dog whilst they’re out and about can be tricky. Whistle tracks your dog’s whereabouts with GPS technology built into their collar.
- Fast tracking with GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular technology
- Track your pet’s daily activity, distance travelled, caloric burn, and rest time
- Use Whistle to keep your dog in shape, making sure they do enough exercise for their age and breed
- Receive weekly summaries of your dog’s energy levels and rest
- Go into more depth with the data, seeing how long your dog walks, runs, plays and rests
- Create reminders for daily medicines, flea and tick treatments, vet appointments, grooming schedules, weigh-ins, and more
- Set health goals for your dog and achieve new milestones
- Create custom ‘Safe Place’ boundaries, like home, the office, or the park
Never worry about losing your dog again with this GPS tracking app.
Keep your cat healthy and happy with the following apps.
For identifying breeds - Cat Scanner
Ever wondered what breed your cat really is? Or want to know what breed your friend’s cat is? You can use Cat Scanner to identify their breed in a matter of seconds.
- Explore over 60 different cat breeds on the app
- Take a picture or a video of your cat
- Read detailed data and facts about the different breeds
- Scan yourself to find out which cat breed you resemble the most!
- Share your findings in the Cat Scanner community
- ‘Collect’ all of the cat breeds with the Gamification feature, earn virtual treats, master challenges, and compete with other users of the app
Play around with learning more cat breeds, and having fun seeing which moggie you look most like!
For training - Cat Clicker Training
Use the Cat Clicker to help train your cat to learn new tricks and manage their negative behaviour more effectively. Simply tap the cat paw on the screen to activate the clicker sound.
- Pick from a variety of different colour paws
- Change the background colour to black or white
- You can also train your cat by having them touch the paw on the screen for the clicker to sound with a desired action
- Includes instructions on how to clicker train your cat
Cats need just as much training as dogs to make sure they respect the house, know where to go to the toilet, and wait patiently for food. Use this Clicker app to help make your life easier at home.
For entertaining - Friskies Cat Fishing
Keeping your cat entertained can be tricky, and there are a number of games online designed for your fluffy companion to keep them occupied. A popular choice is Friskies Cat Fishing. If your cat is fond of tapping things, or loves the look of fish swimming around, then this app will be perfect for them.
- Humans tap ‘start’ and watch as your cat is mesmerised by the moving fish on your screen
- The game becomes more challenging the more fish your cat ‘catches’
- Choose between three levels of difficulty
Glass screen protectors are more likely to withstand cat claws, but plastic screen protectors are not as strong or viable, so it’s best to make sure you have the right protection on your device before allowing your cat near it.
For monitoring health - Moggie: Cat Health
Keep updated on your cat’s health with this app for iOS users. Partnered with leading veterinarians, you can record health stats and follow a host of tips on keeping your feline happy and healthy.
- Record and store information about your cat for your personal knowledge or to share with a vet
- Create more than one profile if you own several cats
- Receive regular tips for your feline, like their nutrition, how to brush their fur, and keeping their weight under control
- Set reminders to be notified for important dates, like appointments, medications, or their birthday
- Connect with other cat owners to share advice
There is a similar app for Android, but focused more on maintaining a healthy weight.
For communicating - Human-to-Cat Translator
Free - with in-app purchases
Have fun with your cat with this human-to-cat translator, where you can turn your voice into hundreds of meows and kitty noises to see how your fluffy companion responds.
- The app has more than 175 samples from more than 25 cats
- The app performs audio analysis on your voice to find the most similar cat sound to respond with
- Play with the 16-meow soundboard of common noises to interest your cat, like birds, mice, purring, and growling
- Experiment with up to six different feline voices
- Supports nearly all human languages
Have fun talking to your cat and growing a closer bond through this amusing translator app. (Note: this app doesn’t actually speak real cat; it just mimics sounds, so you don’t need to worry about saying something offensive to your feline buddy!).
If you’re only a parent of little humans, we have a whole separate list of the best parenting apps for all mums and dads out there.